Monday, October 5, 2009

Oracle and NaNoWriMo don’t mix

I have learned a lesson today. It is virtually impossible to write coherent fiction at 4:30 in the morning while waiting for an Oracle DBA to call back about a database that shut itself down at absolutely the wrong time.

I did attend the writer's group meeting last week and I think the jury's still out on that one. I'll go to another just to make sure, but… I felt like a third grader suddenly dropped into a college course, like I had no business being there. I did get one good idea out of it. Every November, there is a contest called NaNoWriMo. It's really more of a challenge than a contest. Write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. I think I might try it, writing out what I've been creatively calling book 4.

One of the people at the meeting said he was planning his own personal nanowrimo during October. I think that's a great idea, and decided to try it – on the current book. It breaks down to 1613 words every day. With a two day late start, I am 3877 words behind.

So I need to get busy – to get caught up. But not at 4:30AM.


 

Book WC: 28064

Hive WC: unchanged

No comments:

Post a Comment